I have recently gotten myself a hosting account at ploghost.com for the domain pinoyseminars.com and immediately set out to install a Wordpress blog. I did so because, in my short stint as a blogger, I learned that you can do more with a Wordpress blog than one in Blogger.
My problem was that I had no idea how to do it. I posted a query at ploghost.com/forum/ but didn't get any reply. I was forced to try following the step-by-step Wordpress's 5 minute installation guide. Unfortunately, I ended up with an error message. I had to restudy everything until I found what was wrong. I am proud to say the blog is now up and running at pinoyseminars.com/blog/.
For non-techies like me, this is my take on how to do the installation:
- Download the latest stable release of Wordpress at http://wordpress.org/download/.
- Unzip the compressed Wordpress folder.
- Log into your cPanel at www.yourdomain.com/cpanel.
- Click on MySQL Databases.
- Create a database and take note of the database name.
- Create a user and take note of the username.
- Add the user to the database you created.
- Open the unzipped Wordpress folder and find the file wp-config-sample.php.
- Rename the file as wp-config.php.
- Double click on the file to open it at Notepad.
- Replace the word "wordpress" with the name of the database you created.
- Replace the word "username" with the database user you created.
- Replace the word "password" with the password of the database user you created.
- Save the wp-config.php file.
- Upload all the contents of the Wordpress folder by FTP to the "public_html" folder of your hosting account.
- Or, instead of 15, rename the Wordpress folder with a subdirectory name (i.e. blog) and upload the whole folder by FTP to the "public_html" folder of your hosting account.
- In your browser, go to "yourdomain.com/wp-admin/install.php" or "yourdomain.com/subdirectory/wp-admin/install.php" to install Wordpress.
- At this time, Wordpress should now be installed and you can now log in to start building your blog.