Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Hydroponics, making urban farming possible

I was first attracted to hydroponics when I saw an exhibit by Negoskwela showing a full grown lettuce on a piece of plastic cup. I thought that it was something that residents in urban areas like me can make use of.

To satisfy my interest, I skipped watching the Philippines-Mexico Boxing World Cup last August 5 to attend a seminar on hydroponics by Engr. German Penaranda at Negsokwela. I didn’t regret the decision especially when I learned that our fellow Bol-anon, Boom Boom Bautista, got a big “boom” in the first round.

Hydroponics, I learned, comes from the Greek words “hydro” meaning water, and “ponos” meaning work or labor. It is a technology for growing plants in nutrient solutions (or solutions made of water and fertilizers) either with or without the use of artificial solid medium like sand, gravel, rockwool, coconut peat, sawdust, among others.

The principal advantage of hydroponics include high-density maximum crop yield, crop production where no suitable soil exists, virtual indifference to ambient temperature and season, more efficient use of land area, and suitability for mechanization, disease and pest control.

On the other hand, the major disadvantages include isolation of crop from the soil causing problems related to diseases, pest, salinity, and poor structure, high cost of capital and energy inputs, and high degree of management skills required for successful production.

In fact, to do hydroponics at a commercial scale, you have to build a capital-intensive (meaning costly) setup and buy necessary equipment like pumps and measuring tools, among others.

However, I was also told that you can also do hyroponics at the constraints of your home as a hobby and use things like ice cream gallon containers and plastic cups. You can buy your plant seeds and nutrient solutions at Mother Earth/Negoskwela’s hyrdroponics demonstration farm at Quezon Memorial Circle.

I really felt that we are seeing the beginnings of what can be considered urban farming in the Philippines. Now if we can only master the technology and teach it to the millions of informal settlers (meaning squatters) in Metro Manila

19 comments:

rod/iligan said...

A PAPER IS AVAILABLE ON COMMERCIAL HYDROPONICS FOR THE PHILIPPINES WHICH INCLUDES THE COMMERCIAL SETUP FOR AEROPONICS, THIS SYSTEM IS 25 % FASTER IN GROWTH THAN THE NFT SYSTEM AND DOES NOT HAVE THE PROBLEM OF ROOTS HEATING UP OR POOLING A BIG PROBLEM IN SUMMER IN THE PHILIPPINES. THE PAPER EXPLAINS HOW TO CHANGE YOUR NUTRIENT SOME WHAT NOT KNOW TO MANY COMMERCIAL GROWERS, ITS A PAPER YOU MUST READ IF YOU ARE ABOUT TO INVEST BIG MONEY,

Anonymous said...

rod,

where can we procure that paper on commercial hydroponics?

thanks

Anonymous said...

paper is available as of 9 th Jan 2009 from rodhydroponics@yahoo.com.ph as im the author of the book,
I will be home in iligan city then, so just order or if a chat or inquiry on a problem just email me, the other problem was sprays or foggers blocking answer;keep pump running, Aeroponics require constant spray , try it bye

Anonymous said...

I'm a farmer in Mindoro, I am interested to know more about hydroponics. Are there some seminars available? Where and When?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rod. I would like to know specifically were in Iligan are you. Can I ask your telephone number or mobile number if you wouldn't mine. I'am from Naawan. Mis.Or,graduate in MSU-SMFT. Much of my interest in the future is HYDROPONIC Farming, It triggered and urge my interest when I see a ABS noon program with the topic about Hydroponic farming here in Phil. Are there any farmers near in our place who invest this kind of Agrifarming?I see iligan as a suitable site for this thru its unlimited supply of water and ideal water temp..
Hope to hear you soon.

Regards,
sam

Anonymous said...

I also attended a seminar regarding Hydroponics last Feb, 2009 from Negoskwela with Engr. German Penaranda as speaker. Im also from Bohol. All I can say is that Philippines is an agricultural country. There are estimated 70% total of the Philippine soil that is suitable for agriculture. Hydroponics technology will boost the Philippine economy and can retain its title as the Asia's No. 1 and can also be World's top exporter of agricultural products.

Anonymous said...

rod/iligan
yes , your President has said that philippines must start growing your own food as population doubles in the next 20 years.
Hydroponics is the only answer and AEROPONICS is the answer not only in growing vegetables but in fisheries as well,air and nutrient has the same effect on both thats oxygenated nutrient 25% faster in both fish and vegetables

Anonymous said...

that's right, im planning to leave my job soon once i've mastered hydroponic farming.

Anonymous said...

All interested in Hydroponics can obtain my paper on this subject 40 pages, Cost is PHP 300, file sent to your Email where you can copy to disc or print out, My wife krystal is still in Philippines so if any interest text her on 09276839012, it not dear price it sells for PHP1600 her in Australia. Hobby units are being developed for Aeroponics soon

Anonymous said...

HI ROD. THIS IS JOEL FROM MAKATI, IM INTERESTED IN YOUR BOOK REGARDING HYDROPONIC FARMING. HOW CAN I PURCHASE AND PAY?

Build your own hydroponics system said...

Thanks for the post, we will post your Build your own hydroponics system article. I will post for our customers to see your articles on your blog Build your own hydroponics system

rod/iligan said...

rodhydroponics@yahoo.com.ph has Hydroponics 2010 book disc ready for parties interested in commercial hydroponic farm.This disc is free with a seminar or may be purchased for PHP 300. this book contains latest information and formula for 22 different crops, Seminars may be booked and are a two day course costing PHP 2000. LUNCH INCLUDED.
Contact me on my email address
rodhydroponics@yahoo.com.ph

Anonymous said...

nice post. thanks.

bong said...

rod, i'm from cagayan de oro working at the westbound bus terminal, i'm very much interested on your book. how can i avail it? can you drop by our office with your book if you are here in cdo? tnx

rod/iligan said...

Bong,
Will be i cdo terminal about 20th dec,call in and see you bring book and disc for you to see, Reguards Rodney

bong said...

rod,
don't forget to drop by our office here at westbound terminal beside the police sub-station and bring your hydroponics diskbook, just ask assistance from terminal vendors to direct you to our office, looking forward to see you on the Dec. 20, tnx

Anonymous said...

Hi I'm Winson Bersabal.I do some organic farming in zamboanga city. i have also vineyard but i like also to invest on a hydrophonic. but where can i buy the different nutrient

wnight_1972@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I just added your blog site to my blogroll, I pray you would give some thought to doing the same.

Little Fairy said...

Hi. I am looking for someone who can be our guest speaker about Hydroponics this January or FEbruary. i really have no idea who to find. please contact me in ceusciclub@yahoo.com. thanks very much.